Wilken's 1st Campout!
Wilken and I went on our first campout this past weekend. Uncle Ken & Grey go on campouts a lot with a YMCA organization called "Indian Guides" (fathers and their sons). David used to go with Uncle Ken when he was Grey's age, but has since gotten too old for the age limit.
They invited us to go and we gladly accepted despite Elanor's hesitation that she wouldn't be able to say she went on Wil's first campout. We weren't sure how he would do, but we jumped in with both feet! Not only did we all go, but David accompanied us because it was a reunion of older brothers too.
The day started after a huge rain storm and the road that led to the campsite was closed due to a mudslide so we had to go an alternate route. I beleive the trip took 2.5 hours even though it would have been 1 hour on the main road. Wilken did great and was excited to get there!Once we arrived, I put up the tent while Wilken played with David and Grey shot up the enormous mountain of boulders.
Once our site was set up, Wilken and I made our way about 100 feet up. He was having a blast and it had only been 1 hour.
Once our site was set up, Wilken and I made our way about 100 feet up. He was having a blast and it had only been 1 hour.
It got dark quick, so we had some grub (cooked by accompanying group) and sat by the fire. It was cold and the fire warmed us both up. Since Ken and the boys retire early, we decided to hit the hay too at about 8pm. It was freezing and a diaper had to be changed. It was so cold that Wilken didn't even want to lay on the bed spread/sleeping bag. He was a trooper and was thouroughly entertained by the steam coming off of his bowel movement. That is still talked about today...
We read some books, told some stories and went to bed. So far, no mention of "mommy" which was great for this particular moment (and this particular event only Elanor!). We were told by other campers who came later in the night that the temperature got down to 20 degrees. Did I say Wilken was a trooper?
After breakfast, Uncle Ken wanted to show us what his new Jeep was capable of. So we all went on a nice and easy ride on a dirt trail. We also hit a few mud puddles and the Jeep was filthy when we were done. For all of you worry warts, we were only going a couple of miles an hour on a road with no other vehicles!Once we made it (we were the last ones), we were amazed at the view and surroundings. It was something right out of the movie "300". 
Once we took it all in, we wanted to be the first to start heading back as not to get passed up by the bigger kids. Wilken initially walked the whole way there, but the way back was a little more trying, so more carrying took place.
I had a golf tournament on Sunday, so we only stayed one night and David planned on coming home with us too on Saturday, but we all wish we could have stayed another night. We weren't quite sure how Wilken was going to do in a tent, in cold weather, without Mommy, but he did great and I gave him 10 out of 10! We can't wait to go camping again!
I had a golf tournament on Sunday, so we only stayed one night and David planned on coming home with us too on Saturday, but we all wish we could have stayed another night. We weren't quite sure how Wilken was going to do in a tent, in cold weather, without Mommy, but he did great and I gave him 10 out of 10! We can't wait to go camping again!






4 Comments:
great dialog and beautiful pictures of Daddy & Wilken's first camping trip. It sounds like you all had a great time together.
How Awesome! I don't think I would have been such a trooper. I say sugary cereal is a must have on any camping trip. My grandma use to buy us Cookie Crisp. You should ask for that next time Wilken. YUMMY!!!! (I guess now that I am an adult I could buy my own.)
Great pictures. I don't think I would have faired as well - sounded way too cold for me. Way to go Wil!
Beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a great time.
Post a Comment
<< Home